Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Time Spent Wells

So last week, I wrote on my Twitter page (@justforsneaks) that I really wanted at meet Claudia Wells, who played the original Jennifer Parker in part one of Back to The Future. Then later, I went on her Twitter page and it said, just out of coincidence, that she was gonna make an appearance that Saturday at Adat Ari El in North Hollywood, just on Laurel Canyon and Burbank. That really got me by surprise after I read that. I've had many chances to meet her in the past and I always wanted to check out her store Armani Wells on Ventura Boulevard in Studio City, but I was either working, or just too damn lazy to take advantage of it.
Plus I didn't have anything else to do that night.

On Saturday evening, I drove there right after work on the South 101 Freeway coming from the Topanga Mall to the site where the screening was gonna take place. It was scheduled to start at 9 and they were gonna do some kind of pre-show twenty minutes before that, but I thought I was gonna miss the pre-show segment since I get off work at 8:30, yet I managed to make it there at around 8:50. The screening was held outdoors (think the Pohatchee Drive-In theater in 1955 for those who saw part III) in front of a chapel there, and the place is a Jewish synagogue and a day school since that part of North Hollywood as a dense Jewish population. When I got in, I had to pay a $5 admission fee to be admitted for the screening. I thought there were gonna be a shit load of Back To The Future fans just like at the re-release screening at AMC Theaters two years ago and at the Nike Air Mag presentation in Hollywood last year, but I was wrong.

It was more low-key to say the least. About 25 people were there, and they were mostly families, not random Back To The Future fans. Shit, nobody even dressed up as Marty McFly or the Doc for this. I was in my work clothes (Black Banana Republic Premium Pira Cotton t-shirt, black slacks from when I worked as a swing manager at McDonalds six years ago and Black cheap leather Hunter's Bay shoes from Payless), and I even mentioned this event on the last blog post.

I made in time for the question and answer segment with Claduia Wells. Also, Donald Fullilove, the dude who played Golide Wilson was there sitting next to her, and I saw him at the Nike Air Mag presentation last September. I found a seat and I asked Claudia, with a microphone handed to me by one of the MCs of the screening why she didn't appear in Parts II and III. She explained that she had some personal issues with her family and that she had to acting on hold for a while. After that then she went to a table to go sign some autographs on the "Save the Clock Tower" flyers from part 1. While she was signing for those in attendence, I took some photos of Donald as the line started to decreased. Dude was superchill. Then it was my turn to get Claudia's autograph. That moment felt like passing the drivers test and getting Straight A's on your Report Card, which causes the hottest girl in class to be super impressed at you to a certain measure. I'm not gonna lie, she was really nice and sincere and took her time to get along with me and everybody else that attended, and SHE WAS FUCKING GORGEOUS. Claudia signed the flyer with the phone number that she wrote to Marty in the back of the flyer like the film and also she signed a Studio City magazine, with her on the cover promoting her store, that I got from Du-Par's restaurant back in October 2007. I then asked her if I can take a photo of and with her and she said yes. WOW, I ALWAYS WANTED TO DO THIS SINCE I FIRST SAW THE FILM BACK WHEN I WAS 9 AND A HALF, AND I FINALLY DID IT. Like I said, she was really cool and sweet, but unfortunately she couldn't stay for the screening since she had to go take care of her kids. I then stayed for the rest of the night as they played Part 1 from the 25th anniversary Blu-Ray set like the one I own, and had some free popcorn and lemonade. I'm still surprised that not many hardcore avid fans of the film like myself didn't show up for this. Anyways, MAJOR THANKS to Claudia Wells, Donald Fullilove, Ridoca Isabella Shaldan, Ron Whitaker, Barry and Cindy Cohen and the Valley Rauch group for their time by making this night possible. Here are some photos I took with my phone whereas the rest with Claudia Wells were taken with my film SLR camera.


The projector that was connected to a PlayStation 3 as the Blu-Ray player and the concession  stand with the free drinks and snacks. 


The screen in front of the chapel or a multi-purpose room. You gotta give Michael J. Fox's character "something without sugar".


The "Save The Clock Tower Flyer" and the Studio City Lifestyle magazine with her on the cover 5 years ago she autographed. And yes, that's the freestyle group Cover Girls CD on the top left. I'm a fan of Latin Freestyle music. 



I didn't want to leave the place without Claudia signing the back of the flyer. As Marty would say, "This says it all." 


Gotta give a shoutout plug to her store Armani Wells in Studio City, which is also "On the Blvd" like Primitive and Twin Lemons Collective. 

Some other did over the weekend aside from taking portraits of a lot of rugrats at work was meeting up with a couple of some friends from Aftergloam and their mutual friends at The Great Wall Chinese restaurant in Reseda on Friday evening. I thought it was gonna be a few people but everytime I kept checking the invite fir the dinner on Facebook every 15 minutes, it kept showing that more people were gonna attend. But nonetheless, I haven't seen a few of them in a while, so we just mostly caught up with each others lives and watched the Olympic games on the TVs the restaurant had. It was regular but great as well. 

Well, that completes another weekend recap, even though it was mostly one-sided, but hey, the Back To The Future trilogy is the only film I can actually related to in my life. I learned all the swear words Doc and Marty says and started being infatuated with Nikes because of this film. That's just myself. Anyways, thanks for taking your time reading this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment