Thursday, June 10, 2010

Money for something, but alot for nothing.

Yesterday really, REALLY disappointed me.

But before I get into that, I wanna give a quick shoutout to my friend and neighbor Suzette. Thanks for taking the time to ride with me to Little Tokyo, despite the fact that freakin' ass RIF.LA wasn't open yet and we were two hours early, and to Hollywood to check out Amoeba Music, that last great American music store on Sunset and Cahuenga. I know you never been there before so I made that happen and I'm glad you liked the experience and the atmosphere of the store and your reaction to seeing a Laserdisc for the first time. Not too many people that I know or don't know take the time to do this type of stuff nowadays, especially during finals week (both college NBA and also a little bit of the Stanley Cup Finals for NHL fans out there). Again thank you and I know that you'll have a successful life and career in years to come.

Plus another shoutout to the UCLA Women's softball team for winning the NCAA title on that day. I'm sure the passing of the late John Wooden gave the team more inspiration and motivation, as well as dedication for staying focused that lead them to defeating the Arizona Wildcats women's softball team. I saw this game at a bar (I'm not gonna say which bar so I'll leave that up to you, and plus I drank pink lemonade and ate bomb-ass queso's there) in Van Nuys by accident cause the owner forgot to change the channel from ESPN, who showed the game, to ABC for the pre show of the Game 3 between the Lakers and the Celtics (which is what I was really looking forward to). The softball game was getting good until at the end of the second inning that he changed the channel to Game 3 on ABC. I saw the first half there, which they were up by 12, and then I saw the second half at home, which they won by 7.

Being a Trojans fan, I'd never though that I would say that about a rival school, which leads me to what I'm about to say right now.

Yesterday, news broke that the University of Southern California will have to forfeit all the victories from its 2004 season and surrender it to the NCAA and that the football team is also banned from the Bowl Championship Series post-season for the next two seasons. One of the main reasons for all this involves Reggie Bush and another athlete that I won't name by accepting gifts from agents and among other things in which I don't wanna go into full detail. I remember when this shit was a current topic around the time when Bush was about to be drafted in the NFL after the Trojans lost to Texas at the Rose Bowl in 2006 (which happened to be Keith Jackson's last ever college game he called). The thing I don't understand is that why are all these penalties going against a the current USC Trojans Football roster as well as their new head coach Lane Kiffin. The guy hasn't even coached a single fucking game here in Southern California and his players were high school freshman around the time when this shit happened and his ball club is still getting penalized for these violations that didn't involve any of them. I don't think they can't do anything about it to Reggie Bush since he's no longer in USC except they want to have him surrender his Heisman Trophy award that he won in 2005. Plus that got a lot of people thinking and realizing on why Pete Carrol went back to coach the NFL just a few months ago. I thought that he was gonna coach at Southern California for another season to help Matt Barkley perform better and get back to one of the BCS Championship games in 2011, which unfortunately won't and never will happen. Looks like he left at the right time. Sneaky Pete, we (Trojans fans) still like you.

I've been a football fan and started learning more about the sport ever since I started high school around 2002. I've liked USC as a whole school and its mascot as long as I can remember, even when I wasn't into sports cause I would always see people doing crazy bets whenever USC would play against UCLA if one of them wins and loses. Plus I like USC cause its been around longer than any other school and also they're the only people that made the LA Coliseum useful. I don't have a favorite particular team in the NFL (If we had a team in Los Angeles, then that wouldn't be the case) but I would treat USC as if they were my favorite NFL team, which they don't play in that league unfortunately. Plus, majority of the athletes that played for them in the past went on to have successful careers and some won Super Bowls in the NFL such as O.J. Simpson(didn't win any Superbowls) , Marcus Allen (won with the Los Angeles Raiders in 1984) , Junior Seau (went to two Super Bowls with two different teams but didn't win any), Keyshawn Johnson (won with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2003) , and Troy Polamalu (won with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2006 and 2009) among others. Right now the NBA season is almost done for the year, the summer is gonna be dominated with Major League Baseball (which I really like but not the same as football) and the college Football season won't start until the first or second week of September, which is a very, VERY long way. Also, on top of that, the Pacific 10 conference is going to be expanded in years to come by adding more teams from the Big 12 conference, which to me I find wrong but very pleasing with other people. They just had the University of Colorado join the conference today. I mean, I can't picture the Texas Longhorns or the Oklahoma Sooners in the same sentence with the Pac-10, just doesn't sound right, but hey, major sports is also a business.

The bottom line is that the Trojans are gonna actually be playing for nothing in this fall. Despite the fact that if they get high rankings in the BCS standings or a huge percentage in the AP top 25 (which to mean doesn't mean anything), and despite the fact that if they have a perfect season by winning all of their games at very large margins, they're not gonna go to the big dance at the Tostitos Bowl in Glendale, Arizona for the national championship in 2011 and the Superdome in 2012 for that National Championship of that year. The University of Southern California plans to appeal against this whole mess, cause I can't really picture them being disqualified from the playoffs for two years. I hate to say it but it looks like recruiting is gonna be a bitch for a while cause I know there are high school athletes out there who don't wanna play at a highly regarded school that won't be able to go to the postseason and obtain its goal by winning a champion.

And to add insult to injury in the topic of sports before I close, the Walt Disney Company is already closing ESPN Zone's across the country. I'm glad that the ones in Los Angeles and Anaheim are staying open. But the reason why I'm concerned about this is because if I were to go on a vacation to any city outside California that has ESPN Zones that are closed, then where the hell am I gonna eat at? I also wanted see how the fan interaction of that particular city is like without having to go to an actual game or a Hooters restaurant, cause people don't go there just for wings. That sucks.

Looks like my Saturday afternoons in the fall are not gonna be the same anymore. That's just absolute bullshit. My expectations and anticipations for the Trojans I was looking forward to this season is already dashed away. And finally, Reggie Bush is already pro. Dude just won a Super Bowl ring this year and gave hope to the team as well as the city of New Orleans. His business that got USC in this mess is all in the past. Seriously, let's move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment