Saturday, July 10, 2010

In the White Heat (jersey) of that Night




Lebron James was just minding his own business by making business signing with Pat Riley's Miami Heat ball club on Friday.

I'm not gonna say very much about all this, which I might by accident. Hell, it took me two days to come up with a title for this since I had 25 different references that go with the words Miami and Heat. I would've titled this "The Miami Rebound Machine", but Gloria Estefan is a season ticket holder for the team. I also would've titled this "Khloe and Kourtney Take Lebron and Bosh to Miami" but Khloe Kardashian-Odom is married and Kourtney Kardashian is a mother so they wouldn't have time to do that, or I could've used "Three C-Heat", but I might still have to have Pat Riley's permission to use that as a title, even though its his team.

I'm gonna wait until I see some performance in the American Airlines Arena that these three will produce on the hardwood court during the regular season. After that, then I'll say what I feel about the team. Plus, that hour long special with a 75 MINUTE COMMERCIAL FREE SPORTSCENTER FOLLOWING THAT wasn't really necessary, but then again, this is about a 25 year old celebrity athlete who signed a $93 million dollar Nike contract (which is more than Michael Jordan's rookie Nike contract) during his start in the pros, which he also gets thrown into major exposure and heated (no pun intended) debates in sports bars and videos on the internet that featured Kobe Bryant or Michael Jordan.

Not many people liked his "decision", especially those who followed and looked up to him since day one back in 2003. The first time I heard of Lebron James was right after I came back from spending the first two weeks of June in Nigeria with my family that year. I went to Cleveland High School the month after, which was around the time Kobe got accused in that "incident" in Eagle, Colorado. Everywhere I went around the campus, I'd always see some dude or girl wearing a jersey that says Cleveland on the front and JAMES 23 in the back. I thought it was some student athlete that died during the regular school year, but it was an NBA jersey instead of the school jersey. Keep in mind, I wasn't into the NBA that much back then. I only focused on the Lakers since they were the most talked about team that time, despite being eliminated from the playoffs courtesy of the San Antonio Spurs.

As the months went on later that year during my Sophomore year at Kennedy High, I keep hearing about Lebron everywhere in the newspapers, Sports Illustrated magazines, Nike Commercials, the Laker games (when they had Malone and Payton) I'd be watching whenever Stu Lantz and Paul Sunderland (before he left and got replaced by Joel Meyers cause Paul subbed for the late Chick Hearn after he passed on in 2002) would always bring him up which made me get more interested in the NBA more. The jersey craze was poppin' that year, and people would be wearing different $300 throwback Lebron Cavaliers jerseys along with some Air Force Ones or some Air Zoom Generations, which is his first Nike shoe.

Now that's no longer a reality as people disowned those Lebron Cavaliers' jerseys with lighters and pyromania as well as sneakers being too unaffordable during this recession. Hell, even the owner of the Cavs went off on his ex-player by writing an emotional letter displaying his true colors towards Lebron's decision. Dan Gilbert, the owner of the Cavs, wasn't supposed to do that cause Lebron is legally a free agent and not under contract, but that's how Cleveland sports fans have been displaying their emotions through out the years aside from pro Basketball. If they want to break this "losing curse streak", the town's sports franchises just need to make very smart decisions, which is what the offseason is for. I hope the addition of Bryon Scott as a head coach and his experience in the playoffs of both a head coach and a former player will head adapt to the team, as well as the front office moving on with trying to avoid the loss of attendance revenue for the 2010-11 season. Same goes with the Indians and the Browns front office staff and players. They just need to keep staying focused more than they have been and do what ever they can to erase the doubts and earned the respect they must've had sometime in the past.

Sure, Lebron left his hometown to jump ship all the way down to South Beach and yes, that he upset his fans that grew with him for the past 8 years. To him, its about what he feels its best to just win some games so that he'll probably end those hot topic debates and those "playground bully jokes" on how he doesn't have any rings and that type of shit. Call him whatever you want, but just remember that he was very fortunate enough to get in the pros and got all the perks with that as a underage kid which is no longer valid nowadays in the NBA.

One last thing before I retire for the night on this slow ass weekend. Dwayne Wade should tell Lebron the difference between the white powder he uses for his pre-game ritual at the arenas to the crowd and the "other white powder" South Beach citizens use for their "post-game rituals" at the clubs on Ocean Drive. Shit, I could go on all day with the Miami jokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment