Friday, November 5, 2010

The result of Tom Anderson's Absence




The fuck happened with MySpace? I just went on for the hell of it since I haven't been on it for a long time (except Myspace Music which used to be Imeem for listening to streaming music), and then I see their new layout which looks completely foreign to me. I know that Twitter is gonna do the same shit in the coming months, but DAMN, it looks like the new Myspace layout is now geared towards anyone under 12 years of age.

I remember the very first time I heard about MySpace was back in August 2005. My friend Stephen called me and told me to check it out. At first, I though it was some urban youth site or a knockoff of Classmates.com (I had an account back in 2003 for Frost Middle School. I was the only one there) but then a week later he showed it to me and I was like "Everyone is putting out their dirty laundry in public". I also remember when certain profiles would always crashed any computer that I would be at, cause those profiles would be flooded with high memory photos, excessive HTML codes and those streaming Music Video codes which was pre-Youtube.

That site didn't get crazy until the middle of my senior year of High School between February and June, or after it got bought out by News Corp., which heavily promoted the site. I though the site was very weak and a waste of time, but I gave in on January 2008 when this one girl I met at Pierce College made me get one cause that was the only means of communication she had (no cell phone cause she doesn't like to use her minutes). Prior to that, I was only using Facebook, my original profile before it got removed from Facebook's headquarters for hitting on girls (I'm a guy). Now I don't even talk to that girl anymore since she started spitting out her conservative thoughts which I didn't tend to like, and she got me into that shit.

Fast forward to the present now. Those who were one of the original pioneers of having a Myspace Profile five years ago have either retired from social networking, or their raising a family during a challenging recession and working just about everyday at the same time to make end meets. Everyone else jumped ship to Facebook after that rich bastard Mark Zuckerburg made the site accessible to Kids, their parents, and anybody else without a university e-mail address that's also not labeled a full time college student. Social networking has completely changed the way people communicate. Its used to be completely underground but alot of companies and rich investors have thrown so much money into it that those site are now well known and recognized. Hell, almost every site you go to regardless of the nature whether its shopping or news journalism or the Adult sites (again, I'm a guy), they'll sometimes have you log in using your Facebook account or whatever account or it'll let you "like" any article that's on that page.

That shows how serious it has gotten. I always see something about Facebook every other day on CNN or the Huffington Post, whereas back in 2007 when I first got the account, the media didn't give a shit about it unless there was some underage girl who used an alias as being a 22 year old Ivy League student and gets murdered for meeting some mental freak on there. But the bottom line is that no one uses Myspace anymore. Everyone thinks that the site should be shut down by now, but that won't be the case as long as Rupert Murdoch and the white collars at News Corp still own the rights to that site, which is one of the main reasons why Myspace founder Tom Anderson left.


Speaking of communication, there's this new trend that I just noticed yesterday about this new "thing" called KIK. Alot of people have been talking about it this past week. They say that is a like a free version of RIM's BlackBerry Messenger, which I've never used and seen before in my life and I'm proud to say that. Plus I don't own a Blackberry smartphone (too expensive and I can't get work here in this broke-ass state), and if I did, then I'd talk more about this KIK application. I hope that shit doesn't send the "Telephone Call" out of existence just like Kodak did with Kodachrome and the way Sony did by retiring the production of the Walkman, which both got me very upset. I'd rather hear a female's nice sexy voice instead of reading her one word response from answering a question that I took up texting for 5 minutes to send to her.

1 comment:

  1. Hey David,
    I enjoyed all your memories and time charts of your life on Myspace. It is indeed good to hear a long cohesive and relaxed talk from you.
    I just updated to a Droid X from my old Blackberry model. The new one is larger, better lit, easier to type on and soooooooooooo many applications. I love it and spend a lot of time goofing around on it.
    Keep on keeping on and so will Kent and I.
    Peace & Love,
    Robin:)

    ReplyDelete