Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Pulling Some Roots Over The Weekend


I had a rags to riches type weekend. It started out stale on Friday. I was supposed to go to my friend Joanna's graduation in Hawthorne that night, but my uncle and my pops wanted me to cover a wakekeeping event... in Hawthorne. Weird coincidence. So I rode with my family to the event and its been a long ass time since I rode in the backseat with my little brother. I remember when this was a frequent thing everyday back when we were kids, with me and all three of my siblings being squished up in the backseat in every car my parents owned, regardless if its a compact of a full size sedan.

When we got there, my uncle said that I was going to work with these two other Nigerian photographers cause he has to be at another wakekeeping in Torrance (yeah, too many people died recently). I worked with them twice before, but this time, one of the guys wants me to videotape it and he had the other guy take some still shots of it. It should've been the other way around. Throughout the whole time, my back was starting to ache cause I was holding the camera, which is the same exact Canon XL-1 that my uncle has, for almost 4 hours. I had to take quick breaks by sitting down on a chair. At the end of the night, I was compensated $10 for all that work. I'm not complaining. Money is money. I could've let that Ten Dollar bill grow or something, but I needed it for fuel unfortunately. I wouldn't say the event was great, since it was for one of my parents friends who passed away, but the people there, including my pops, were dancing non-stop for almost three and a half hours like an unorganized high school homecoming dance.

Saturday was just nothing. I missed out on my friend D'Ana Spencer's birthday party in Studio City cause some other last minute shit came up. That got me very upset. These things went from driving all the way up to Westfield Valencia Town Center to test drive some cars that Toyota had in their lineup, which was a 2011 Sienna, the new Highlander Hybrid and this Toyota Prius Prototype in which they claim that its a Plug-In electric that has added two Lithium-Ion batteries to give the car more range after one power charge. Its still a regular Prius to me. I've been to many, MANY test drives throughout the year, but this one wasn't like any of them. The test drive for each car lasted for less than 45 seconds, with the total experience turning out to be 1 minute and 35 seconds for all three Toyotas. I could've done that time in ONE car. And what's more worse was that they gave me a free movie theater voucher for the theater right next to the mall. I wish those fuckers knew that I don't like to go to movie theaters so they could give me a gift card to the mall at least. That shit was a waste.

I also gave this one girl a ride to her place in Sylmar when I was there pumping gasoline in my car. It was her and her husband that needed a lift, but all of a sudden, her husband started going postal and say all kinds of mad shit to her. Hell, he even broke up with her RIGHT ON THE SPOT. The girl told me that she's moving to Washington D.C, the nation's capital. I thought she was attractive, well, not too attractive. Just trying to be nice. I wish I was at D'Ana's party instead of doing all that other stuff on that day.

On Sunday, I drove all the way up to the Antelope Valley to help my uncle cover an event at a Nigerian church in Palmdale. One of the members there was getting ordained as one of the Pastors of the church. It was decent, minus all the little kids making a lot of noise. I spent the night at my uncle's place to help him edit some videos and photos.

When I woke up the next morning, my car was all iced up, since I was at the High Desert, which gets really cold during the winter. As I got back to Valley, I decided to go take my car to get it serviced at the Pep Boys in San Fernando since it was the closet on in Sylmar. While I was waiting for it to be worked on, I decided to stroll around the San Fernando Mall. The stores were open, but the strip itself was dead. There were no cars parked and there wasn't that many people walking around. Plus, literally every store was the same thing, selling prom/Quinceanera dresses and tuxedo rentals. That's REALLY competitive. Also, the economy isn't that well, so I can understand why there aren't a lot of people there. I guess it gets jumping during the spring, since most weddings and school dances are around that time. After that I rode to Northridge to go do some Christmas shopping for myself. Just got some shirts and a new electric trimmer.

Later on that night, I rode with my pops to go visit his brother who just came back from Nigeria over the weekend. During the ride, we spent the whole time just looking back and reminiscing when everything was perfect before he split with my mom. I used to ride to church with him back when I was in ninth grade, and we would always have these discussions every week, but that night was the first time we had that in, shit forever. It acted like nothing ever happened, even though I had my differences and constant disputes with my parents for the past few years, but that shit typically happens in families. Its hard to control but you learn from it. Probably the only true meaning of the holidays, not the whole "buying gifts and having that person returning it the day after Christmas" bullshit.

Yeah, I know, a late weekend review. I'm not lazy, but I have to find the right time to type the recap. Speaking of blogs, there's a sure chance that I might be re-starting my website again, only using a different service. That means I'll be typing my posts there and showcasing my photos on the site just like I did when I had my website with iWeb and MobileMe two years ago. I might even have to retire this site also. It'll still be up, but I won't be writing on here. This is still in the works and we'll see how it turns up. My projection date to launch it is in New Years Day 2011, so I'll have plenty of time to map this out.

Oh yeah, before I forget, FUCK YOU TIME MAGAZINE FOR MAKING MARK ZUCKERBURG PERSON OF THE YEAR! And fuck that rich billionaire bastard Mark Zuckerburg. I'd rather see one of the Kardashians or some annoying Youtube breakout sensation win that instead of him. Shit, I might quit Facebook to focus on the site I'm working on more than that social networking piece of shit. That's something Taylor Swift could've pulled off last year. Man, I totally ran out and can't think of more cuss words for this.






No comments:

Post a Comment