Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Best from the Worst

Bezold Photography hasn't gone anywhere.

After a month in hiatus without taking portraits of spoiled screaming kids and their soft parents, I got a call last week from my boss that he wants me to shoot over the weekend. We're not at the Topanga mall anymore, but I had to work at two different locations in the Valley over the weekend: the Lucky supermarket in Van Nuys Boulevard and Sherman Way and the Bezold Photography flagship studio in the Burbank Town Center.

Now why did I bring up the Lucky supermarket? Well, one of my co-workers that brings in the clients lives in Van Nuys not too far from the store and he talked the store manager into hooking us up with the wine supply room there as a small pop-up studio to set up for the portraits. That Saturday, my boss brought a background along with some old school strobes to set up and a old first generation Canon Rebel for me to photograph that delivers very good results in its images. I spent majority of the day there and it was totally slow. I had three clients come in and they were super mad chill. The first one was an lady in her early thirties with her toddler son, another was a regular typical Valley suburban family with a couple and their two kids, and the final client of the day were two elderly Hispanic women with twin girls who are about 15 months. They were my favorite to photograph of the whole day since they smiled alot. Somehow that Saturday went by so quick despite being there for 9 hours.

During the slow downtime at Lucky when there were no customers, I used that time to walk around and browse the supermarket for a bit and read a few magazines. I remember walking to this Lucky several times nine years ago when I lived in Van Nuys with my pops back then, but it was called Albertsons at the time. Now the store is about to be closing in a month cause Albertsons, who also own that Lucky store, is shutting down most of their stores in California. They already closed down the one behind my old high school a year ago. I talked with a bloke who works at that Lucky and he told me that they've been going through alot of shit from cutting staff to reducing hours. He also told me that he's been working there for 20 years and that he doesn't know where he might be transferred to, or if he's actually gonna be working. I would never thing that a store like Albertsons would be falling under since the economy collapsed and shifted since 2008 cause they sell necessary produce and other accessories that everybody needs. Right now they are starting their liquidation sales to rid of everything cause the store looked damn near empty that Saturday. 

Then on Sunday, I drove to the Burbank Town Center (or Media City Center for all the Valley OGs) for the first time in a year to cover at the Bezold Photography studio there. When I was at Topanga, my co-workers kept telling me about that place all the time, yet I don't remember seeing it everytime I go to that mall. The studio is decent and it has a good amount of space. Other than that, it was the same process when I was at Topanga. Families came in with their kids dressed up in vintage clothing, with some of them crying and running around. Again that day also went by quick, but we had 6 clients that day to get their photos taken. During downtime, I was watching some NFL football on a TV that was posted from a smoothie bar across my studio. They were showing the Eagles at Steelers game in which Pittsburgh won the game with the field goal literally at the last second to cut Philadelphia's lead and also some of the Broncos/Patriots game. That shit should've been a Sunday Night game cause of the hyped up rivarly between Peyton Manning and Tom Brady (which is already played out since Manning left Indianapolis) instead of San Diego and New Orleans hosting Sunday Night Football, but props to the Saints for winning their first game of the season without Coach Sean Payton and their key defensive players who are suspended for a while. Again, that day went by quick.

Yes, I'm aware of the fuel prices being spiked for the past week and some stations even breaking the 5 dollar a gallon mark. Hell, even Costco and the independent gasoline stations had to shut down their business cause they ran out of fuel and couldn't afford to buy more. I stopped by my sisters' house in North Hollywood after work and we discussed how times are tough now and nothing is soft and easy as it was in the past. Right now she's grinding by still working at 24 Hour Fitness and interning for this Physician in Beverly Hills. I also stopped by to give her the grey Primitive t-shirt with Rachel Metz's eyes printed on it that I promised her before she went to Nigeria over the Summer.

Its tough as hell now. Actually,  its been like that for the past four years, but I'm not bitching too much about it. Nowadays you have to know somebody that knows somebody in order to work at a decent job cause most lower-level companies and stores are scared and insecure to hire anybody who plans to quit after three months working there after all the money they paid for his uniform and training orientation among other things. I've brought this up many times like somebody's moms from the mid-twentieth century, so if your not doing anything, start doing whatever it is your good at and develop it  to the point where you not only receive some compensation in return, but also enjoyment out of it as well. That's how it was with myself and photography. Fuck, I can even imagine how Economics class is being taught in high school nowadays since the recession. Either the teacher is all like "All right class, your future is fucked and y'all will never find work" or the teacher is probably teaching his or her class the same stuff but with more emphasis so that the student will make smart, legitimate financial decisions after they graduate (or stop attending high school if that matters). All I can say is that just stay tough and manage yourself properly. Start from the basics again if you have to and shoutout to all the moms with minivans and SUVs that have to commute with their kids at least halfway across the Valley during the times of high fuel prices.

That last paragraph seemed predictable and always repeated, but hey, I have friends and acquaintances who lost their jobs the past few weeks and shit hasn't been smooth for them. By the way, I'm thinking of checking out this singer Ellie Goulding doing an appearance at Amoeba Records next week since I heard "Lights" and some of her other songs at the clubs and stores I've been to this past year, and I need to cop some more Vinyls there. If you're down to go, let me know. Anyways, thanks for your time reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment